Change Agent Network (CAN)
||Statement of Purpose: The CAN Community of Practice has a vision to support a dynamic workforce which is responsive and sustainable, promoting evidence-based practice and collective wisdom, to facilitate measurable and beneficial outcomes for clients and communities.
SEEKING NEW MEMBERS FOR 2015!
Connecting leaders to improve alcohol and drug practice
The Change Agent Network (CAN) is a major Department of Health Workforce Development initiative established in 2014 and designed to assist in the reform process across all catchments. It is the first AOD Community of Practice uniting existing and emerging leaders in the Victorian AOD sector who are committed to developing and sharing leadership knowledge and expertise; to sharing values and principles around collaboration and evidence-based practice; and to generating and supporting culture and practice change. The current CAN membership of 20 includes leaders who have recently commenced leadership roles as well as experienced leaders from services such as community health, women’s services, family services, addiction medicine, treatment services, Aboriginal services and youth services. Roles include CEOs, program managers, service managers, team leaders, social workers, nurse managers, operations managers and psychiatry. CAN achievements to date include the:
- Establishment of a cohesive collaborative state-wide leadership network
- Development of a framework for the first Victorian AOD sector Community of Practice
- Design of a state-wide practice translation model that puts Evidence Based Practice as a cornerstone for the sector
The CAN has clear objectives to improve the Victorian AOD sector, which include the support of a dynamic workforce, the promotion of Evidence Based Practice, and the facilitation of sustainable and beneficial outcomes for clients and communities. During 2015, the CAN will implement a catchment based workforce development project to support evidence based practice translation in high prevalence clinical issues.
Come and join us! CAN will provide you with the ultimate networking opportunity with participants from a variety of roles and organisations across catchments and the AOD sector. It will enable you to connect with other leaders from different perspectives and backgrounds to solve complex problems and contribute to the development of a state wide Practice Translation Network to enhance evidence based practice in AOD counselling. It will also provide you with a unique opportunity to increase your leadership capacity and to support culture and practice change through the emergence of shared values and commitments to improving AOD treatment and effectiveness. Successful applicants who are admitted to CAN will be provided with the support, development and leadership training opportunities to join the CAN Community of Practice. This will include a six day Leadership Intensive Program provided by Leadership Victoria plus two days Community of Practice with the existing CAN group.
For more information on the application process please visit www.changeagentnetwork.net or download the CAN Information Flyer 2014-2015.
Benefits to the Participant, their Organisation and the AOD Sector
CAN provides the ultimate networking opportunity with participants drawn from a variety of roles and organisations across the AOD sector; enabling participants to connect and converse with other leaders from different perspectives and backgrounds to solve complex problems. It also provides unique leadership opportunities for experienced and emerging leaders to increase their leadership capacity and to support culture and practice change, through the emergence of shared values and commitments to improving AOD treatment and effectiveness.
For participants, CAN will:
- provide a greater understanding of the driving forces and motivations that are important to them in considering the question: ‘How can I contribute as a leader in the AOD sector?’
- provide ways to deploy their skills, experiences, interests and values to create positive impact in the AOD sector
- provide a development pathway to achieve greater personal and professional fulfilment
- provide opportunities for collaboration and networking with other fellow participants within the AOD sector
- enable participants to build a knowledge base around leadership frameworks, change management, evidence-based practice and implementation science
For their organisations, CAN will:
- present an opportunity for the organisation to retain talented staff, who are often searching for opportunities to expand their leadership, and for the individual to develop further in their organisation and the AOD sector
- support the growth and development of emerging leaders through formal leadership training and networking in a policy-relevant context
- enhance and develop the skills of existing leaders and provide them with peer support and access to leadership expertise
- present opportunities for the organisation to build networks and collaborate with other organisations within the AOD sector
- play a leading role in driving, promoting and supporting best practice within the organisation
For the AOD sector, the ultimate benefit of CAN will be to:
- facilitate the effective translation of evidence into best practice across AOD service delivery and treatment
- generate a collaborative culture in AOD services which is committed to critical reflection and understands the importance of evidence-based practice
- lead significant enhancements in clinical standards, workforce practices, client experiences and clinical outcomes in the AOD sector in Victoria
- support the succession planning and professional development of the field and support a leadership culture based on collaboration rather than competition