- 24 May 2022Talking Point: “Hospo Drinking Cultures”: Animating alcohol culture change amongst male hospitality workers, presented by Dr Michael Savic on 27th April 2022presented by Dr Michael Savic
As part of VicHealth’s Men’s Risky Drinking Initiative, the Hospo Drinking Cultures project seeks to address cultures of high risk drinking among male hospitality workers through a series of short, animated documentaries.
- 13 April 2022Talking Point: The power of data: Prevalence and patterns of substance use in Queensland using novel data collection on alcohol, opioids and trauma, presented by Professor Cate Cameron on 23rd March 2022Presented by Professor Cate Cameron
Using novel approaches to data collection and the power of data linkage to fill gaps in understanding, this Webinar will highlight two key projects from Professor Cameron’s substance use research.
- 7 March 2022Talking Point: Testing new medications for methamphetamine use disorder (MAUD) in young people, presented by A/Prof Gillinder Bedi and Dr Alexandre Guérin on the 23rd February 2022Presented by: A/Prof Gillinder Bedi and Dr Alexandre Guérin
Methamphetamine use commonly starts in adolescence or early adulthood. New treatment approaches for young people are required.
- 7 February 2022Talking Point: AOD-Stats: The Re-development and Re-launch of a community tool to map alcohol and drug harms across Victoria, presented by Jessica Killian, Sam Campbell, Adam Scott and Rowan Ogeil on the 15th of December 2021Presented by: Jessica Killian, Sam Campbell, Adam Scott and Rowan Ogeil.
AOD-stats has undergone a significant revamp over the past 2 years, and was relaunched in November 2021, by DHHS (Victoria).
- 3 December 2021Talking Point: Dual diagnosis of mental illness and substance use disorder: an underappreciated determinant of health disparities, presented by Dr Jesse Young, PhD MPH BSc, presented on the 17th of November 2021Presented by Dr Jesse Young, PhD MPH BSc
Mental illness and substance use disorder frequently co-occur, and this co-occurrence is commonly referred to as 'dual diagnosis'.
- 2 December 2021Talking Point: I don’t want to count my drinks… An alternative approach to setting “count goals” as part of an alcohol reduction plan, presented by Associate Professor, Petra Staiger, Deakin University, presented on the 20th of October 2021Presented by Associate Professor, Petra Staiger, Deakin University
Behaviour change research strongly indicates that to successfully change habits we need to ensure that the behavioural goal is broken into realistic and manageable components.
- 21 October 2021Talking Point 15 September 2021: Compassion in healthcare - are we on track or is there more that can be done? Presented by Dr Debbie LingPresented by Dr Debbie Ling
What does the current evidence tell us about the state of compassion in healthcare? Are we in the midst of a compassion crisis in Australia?
- 23 August 2021Talking Point: Predictors of cognitive functioning in presentations to addiction neuropsychology: Are we paying enough attention to modifiable risk factors? presented by Dr James Gooden on 21st July 2021Presented by Dr James Gooden
This talk highlights some of the common presentations to our addiction neuropsychology service and discusses the role of potentially modifiable risk factors for cognitive impairment in individuals with AOD histories.
- 5 July 2021Presented by Associate Professor Rebecca McKetin
Currently there are no approved pharmacotherapies for methamphetamine dependence.
- 10 May 2021Dr Sarah Callinan presents results from two studies conducted during 2020 on how drinking habits were changing during the pandemic.