For clients

If you’re battling with alcohol or other drug related harms or in the grip of a behaviour issue like gambling then you’re in the right place. If your sleep is being affected or your family and friends have expressed concern for your well-being then you’re in the right place.

No one sets out to become affected by alcohol or other drugs and related harms. You may have been referred by a General Practitioner or a counsellor, or a family member or loved one has expressed concern for your well being. Or life has become difficult and you have found your way through the health or social services system.

Perhaps the courts have become involved or maybe you have just had enough and made a decision to do something. Whatever the reason and there are thousands of them, you are in the right place.

Whether this is your first time or you’ve been here before you’re making changes in your life and we understand the effort that it takes to seek professional support. At Turning Point your care will be compassionately provided by people who want to help.

What we do

Turning Point and our partner organisations provide compassionate care for people affected by substance use problems. Our team works with the needs of the individual, their family and significant other, offering alcohol and other drug counselling, medical treatment, dual diagnosis (substance use and mental health) assessment and detoxification either out-patient or residential (short live-in).

This service is led by Turning Point and includes:

How we can help

You may find our services helpful if:

  • You are worried about your alcohol and/or drug use- including prescription drugs
  • You are worried about your partner or family member's alcohol and/or drug use
  • You want to assess, reduce or cease alcohol and/or drug use
  • You are worried about introduction of real time prescription monitoring.

Our counsellors can provide:

  • Immediate counselling and support
  • Support in dealing with the impact of drug use on families
  • Assistance in developing strategies to deal with alcohol or drug problems
  • Information about how to reduce the harm associated with drug use
  • Information and referral to treatment and support services across Victoria
  • Links to further information and education resources.

We refer to treatment services including:

  • Individual counselling
  • Withdrawal services
  • Pharmacotherapy services (e.g. methadone and buprenorphine)
  • Drink and drug driving services
  • Needle and syringe collection and disposal services
  • Services for Aboriginal communities
  • Family, relationship and group counselling
  • Rehabilitation and post-withdrawal.

Contact us

The Inner East Intake and Assessment service is the primary entry point for all AOD services across the eastern metropolitan region of Melbourne and can be contacted by telephone 24 hours 7 days a week on 1800 778 278. A clinician will respond to your call.

What happens when you call?

When you make contact with either the telephone or face-to-face Intake and Assessment Service you will have direct access to an experienced clinician to talk about your concerns. The clinician will work with you to get an initial understanding of your concerns and what your treatment needs may be.

We’ll want to know about you

We’ll ask you some questions about your situation and what you are going through.

Recommendations based on your situation

Using the information you give us, we’ll offer recommendations about your specific situation.

One outcome of this initial contact may include booking an appointment to start a more detailed assessment process that can run over more than one session. As part of this more detailed assessment, the clinician will work with you to develop a treatment plan and discuss what options are available for your longer term treatment. Once the course of action is agreed, they will assist you to access these services.

Where alcohol and drug services are deemed unsuitable, staff will support clients in accessing an appropriate alternative service.

Your treatment plan may include referral for counselling, care and recovery coordination, non-residential withdrawal and bed based services. Some of these services are provided by organisations that are not in our partnership but will be offered as a choice, which may suit you better in terms of your treatment needs, available appointments, location or previous connection with that service.

Referrals to specialist services

We can also refer you to alcohol and drug treatment services throughout Victoria if necessary.

Specialist support services

Phone and online services

Alcohol and Drug Information Service (ADIS) exist in each state and territory. They provide confidential telephone counselling, information and referral service and operate 24 hours.

Find the contact details for phone and online services

Face to face services

Turning Point’s 'walk in' service provides assessment and treatment planning and support for individuals affected by alcohol and other drugs.

Read more about the services we deliver face to face


Turning Point delivers programs to meet different client needs. Read more about the programs:

Making Waves

‘Making Waves’ is a 12-session Acceptance and Commitment Therapy program offered through Turning Point’s specialist addiction treatment clinic, in partnership with Spectrum: Personality Disorder Service for Victoria.

Reaching Out

Reaching Out provides specialist outreach to assist people who identify from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse backgrounds and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community members, whose lives are affected by substance use issues.

Ready 2 Change

Ready-2-Change (R2C) is a six-week telephone intervention program that provides support and motivates long-lasting change to people with alcohol, drug or gambling issues.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander

NACCHO (National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation)

NACCHO is the national peak body representing 142 Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services across the country on Aboriginal health and wellbeing issues.


This site provides information on social and emotional wellbeing as well as mental health services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders in Australia. It offers a directory to browse services by state as well as additional information meeting the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population.


Qlife: 1800 184 527 - 3pm-12am

Qlife is a national telephone and web counselling service for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex (LGBTI) people, families and friends.

Thorne Harbour Health (previously the Victorian AIDS Council): (03) 9865 6700

VAC provides advice about the effects of alcohol and/or other drug use on your health and mental health, with strategies to help you improve your well-being including counselling, recovery support and therapeutic groups.