Talking Point: Medicinal cannabis, hype or highpe?
This event was one of our Talking Point series. It was delivered on 28 March 2018.
David's presentation includes:
- History of cannabis use, including medicinal use
- Cannabinoid chemistry (including synthetic cannabis)
- Cannabinoid content
- Different strains
- Endocannabinoid system, cannabinoid receptors
- Routes of administration
- Potential therapeutic uses
- Adverse reactions
- Legalisation and where Victoria (and the rest of Australia) is at regarding prescribing and supplying medicinal cannabis
- Agents targeting the endocannabinoid system, potential therapeutic agents.
David Taylor is a neuropharmacologist by training and has been involved in cannabis research for over 40 years. His research has been predominately preclinical but he is interested in extending those studies to therapeutic uses.
For the latest updates on what's happening in this rapidly evolving field read the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services information about access to medicinal cannabis for the latest guidance for clinicians and patients on how to access medicinal cannabis in Victoria.
The Department also encourage people to contact the Office of Medicinal Cannabis for more info on 03 9096 7768 or [email protected].